Tuesday, July 14, 2015

It's Time to Reflect

     Although I am not always capable of putting how I feel into words, I am going to give it my best try. Amsterdam, Amsterdamn, the city of love, the city of liberal social ideas, a place where I felt like a child again (sorry, fragmenting sentences are the worst, I can hear my English 12 teacher in my ear already). I am extremely thankful to have had the opportunity to have traveled to such a place like Amsterdam. Bike Town's cultural richness and beautiful canals left me wanting more. After so many years of not riding bikes, I left with battle wounds and experience with the public, how to navigate the city, and how not to interact with angry locals who didn't like students/tourists on bikes. I was able to see the Anne Frank House, and on the same day, learn that the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in favor of same-sex marriage equality! While we were gone, I was so honored to be an American, so proud to know that my home country was progressing so far in two weeks (even as I write, I have goosebumps symbolizing my happiness and gratitude).

     To learn about the suppression of religions, the enculturation of so many groups, the thriving and enlivenment of the young, student generation, rekindled my fire and love for policy and legislation. I used to feel ashamed of my two, very liberal choices of Political Science and International Studies majors; however, I am so proud and liberated to know that I'm in the right college and the right University. There's not a lot more than I can say, other than I would love to go back one day when I have the money and the time. I am extremely grateful that USI gave me this opportunity to go and explore more of the world, as well as the Student Ambassador Scholarship program.

No comments:

Post a Comment